Stress can overwhelm us to the point that we are unable or incapable of seeing anything else. This is the state the enemy would love to keep us in. As long as our focus is on our circumstances and stress, we are not drawing others to God because we are not drawing close to God and seeking peace and refuge in Him.
However, when you and I make the choice to look at the blessings in our lives it is as if we are turning from the shadows and looking at the Light.
God continues to pour out blessings in our lives, but many times we become so blinded by our stress and circumstances that we miss the little things and sometimes we just forget what He has already done.
I would like to share five things that God has brought to mind over the past several days that I am truly blessed with.
- My husband – Mitch is such a blessing to me in so many ways and I thank God daily for bringing him into my life. He is such a hardworking and wonderful husband, father and Godly head of the house. Sometimes it is the little things that mean so much. For example, the other morning he got all the kids up for school, so I could rest a little while longer. He also is taking time off of work to take our youngest, Madilynn, to Big Buddy/Little Buddy, so that I can get into the doctor. May I never take for granted the blessing he is to our children and me.
- Noise, laundry and fingerprints – All of these are reminders that God has blessed me with five unique, energetic and healthy children. He has also blessed us with a home to keep our family safe, warm and clothes to wear (and sometimes leave out on the floor :)). This just re-emphasize His blessings – multiple outfits.
- Gardening – Growing up I did not imagine that I would count gardening as a blessing; however, at this point in my life I really love it. I take in the wonder of it all and see how we are like the tiny seeds. In order to grow and bloom, we must be put into the dirt (the trials of life) and struggle to break forth (release the bounds of stress). Besides the imagery of the garden, I also delight in the fact that it provides delicious and nutritious food for my family. Thanks to canning, we are able to enjoy these wonderful foods even in the winter months.
- Family living so close – For those of you that don’t know, my mother fell at work last week and shattered her patella. Due to her injury and my dad’s work schedule, I have been going over in the evening to bring dinner for my mom and brother. I then go back over at night to help Jason, my brother, in bed. Since they live just right down the road, this is no problem at all. It is such a blessing to be able to give back to my family after all the help they have been to me over the years.
- Spring – I simply love the warmer weather to be able to sit out on the porch and plant seeds while feeling the sun on my skin and hearing the birds sing in the distance. God’s control over the weather, plants and animals many times goes unnoticed. But He continues to cause the sun to rise and set everyday, as if God is personally waking each one of us up and then tucking us in at night.
I have shared my five blessings with you today. I would love to hear what five things God has blessed you with. When you stop looking at the circumstances and instead focus on God and everything He has already blessed you with your stress level will decrease because you know that He will not only be there for you, but also provide and pour out blessings for you.